- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Pink Lady or Honey Crisp apples
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 count) PillsburyTM Cinnamon Rolls with Icing
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tub of PillsburyTM Cinnamon Roll icing
(included in PillsburyTM Cinnamon Roll package)
- 1) Heat oven to 375°F. In medium saucepan, whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk together milk and egg yolks; very slowly pour into saucepan while whisking constantly. Add maple syrup and butter and cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Cook and whisk an additional 1 minute. Set aside and stir occasionally to prevent a skin from forming.
- 2) Into a medium bowl, squeeze the juice from lemon. Stir in brown sugar. Cut the apple in half lengthwise; remove the core and stem. Using a mandoline slicer on the thinnest setting, slice the apples. Place immediately into the lemon juice so they don't brown.
- 3) Lightly flour work surface. Separate cinnamon rolls and place topping-side-up in a circle with sides touching and one roll in the centre. Using a rolling pin, roll as thin as possible. If there are gaps in the dough, take dough from outer edge and press to fill. Gently lift dough into 9-inch tart pan and press up the sides. Pour the pastry cream mixture onto the dough spread to smooth.
- 4) To make apple roses: Line up 8 to 10 apple slices overlapping into a row, going left to right. Starting from the left, start rolling the apple slices until you form an apple rose. Place the apple roses on top of the pastry cream.
- 5) Bake for 20 to 22 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven to a cooling rack and allow to cool for at least 1 hour. Can be served at room temperature or chilled. Refrigerate leftovers.
- 6) Serve with Whipped Cream (optional): Whip the heavy cream and 1 tbsp sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll icing.
Simplify: Skip making the apple roses and simply top the pastry cream with very thinly sliced apples.